Pretend Product: Improvements of Interfaces I’ve Encountered This Week
Pretend Product is a series of musings on a product that should exist in the world or improvements I’d offer to an already existing product
- Press spacebar to play / pause what’s on like Netflix does.
- Hover a tile to add to list instead of having to click the tile and get sent to a new page just for a single action.
- Only count towards my limit if I actually read the piece instead of counting it against me the second I click into the article.
- This sign up screen that says sign in instead should update the copy to accurately represent the actions that can be taken.
- Require hosts who claim to have WiFi to verify their upload and download speeds on their properties.
- Cue emoji reactions to messages by relevancy. I never use 80% of these.
One of my peers advised me to improve my product sense by moving through my day thinking about a product that could help my life or seeing how the current products that I use could be improved. Pretend Product is me putting that into practice.
I encourage you to move through your day being aware of the things you use from a product lens and see how that helps drive your creativity and innovation.